Saturday, February 20, 2010

Thirteen Reasons Why

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher is not a new book to our library and it was recommended to me by a student (Thanks CS!). It turned out to be a one-dayer, what I call a book so good I read it in a day. I even woke up to finish it in the middle of the night because I couldn't wait to see how it ended.

Clay gets a box of 13 cassette tapes in the mail from Hannah, a girl who recently committed suicide. Each tape contains a story (told by Hannah) about a person from school who made a significant impact on Hannah's life and death. On the day she commits suicide, she mails the box of tapes to the person whose story is on the first tape. Then he mails the box to the next person and so on. Clay has to listen to all the tapes to see how he fits in, even though listening to each one is incredibly hard for him.

This book will make you rethink all your actions, whether they're intentional or not, and wonder what kind of impact they make on other people. I HIGHLY recommend this book.

AR 3.9/9 pts